 From: "Mary Ann Mutrux" <[log in to unmask]>
 Sent 1/4/2011 10:24:20 PM
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Subject: New member - looking for assistance

 Dear Folks,

  I am a new member.  I am looking for a place to get ideas and trouble shoot for teaching Earth Science for Teachers at Missouri State University in West Plains Missouri.  I have been teaching grades 7-12 over the last 25.5 years in the rural Ozarks (a great place to do geology - Karst heaven with great igneous knobs).  I am teaching this college class as an adjunct instructor.  This is the 3 year that I have taught the class in the last five.  I have been struggling with student misconception for years!   I have a MS in education.  I have read many books on the brain and learning (Pat Wolf, Mel Levine, and many more).  I did find Heather Percovic and Robert Ruhf study published in the Journal of Geoscience Education (May 2008) very interesting and useful.  My inquires with Heather have brought me to this list serve (this is my first).  I have signed up to access and use the Geoscience Concept Inventory.  I am looking forward to making up a test after my account is completed.

I have a ton of questions.  Lets start with one.

Barometers!   First of all, no one uses one anymore!  The data is just given on web forecasts.    The school can afford to buy one.  I have used the balloon stretched over the can in the past to measure air pressure.  This method is not exciting, it is difficult to "see" any significant difference over a period of time.  Any ideas?  The safety school personnel took my mercury away years ago (yes - I had some for a HS lab, I would only "show" students - this tells you how long I have been around).  How to I get the concept of air pressure / forecasting across to pre service teachers and 8th graders without messing them up and without a real barometer.  I do have on old one that was broken I have taken apart that I show.

 --
 Mary Ann Mutrux
 Middle School Science Teacher