Good morning,
Last summer I asked the list for suggestions for trade books for a
course I have now just finished co-teaching at St. Catherine
University.  The class is the capstone in a STEM minor for elementary
education majors but open to all; the goal of the course was to cover
some basic geology and physics and to couch it in the notion that
major advances in scientific understanding often come about in part
due to new technologies.  We covered mapping space and time and of
course, plate tectonics, for the geology portion.  The books we chose
from your suggestions were "Discovery of Global Warming", "The Map
that Changed the World", and "Reading the Rocks".  All were well
received by the students and they were very pleased not to have to buy
an expensive text book for a JTerm class.

I am now interested in suggestions for a trade book on the Louisiana
coast/Gulf of Mexico.  The ones I am already familiar with are
(shortened titles) Bayou Farewell, Rising Tide, The Great Deluge, and
the Storm.  This is for a class taught by a colleague with more of an
ecology focus with similar enrollment to mine, so essentially an intro
course.  So a bit off topic for this list, but you were all so helpful
last time that I thought I would try again.  Any opinions on the above
titles or alternate suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Karen Campbell
Education Director
National Center for Earth-surface Dynamics
University of Minnesota