Hi everyone.

This might sound like a weird question but long story short, we had a server crash after a drive failure. Server was running Exchange 2003, but we were already in the process of migrating to Exchange 2010.Since we initially didn’t physically have  enough drives to restore the old server, and we were already migrating anyway, I used the 2010 EMC to disable mailboxes still on the 2003 server, and then recreated them in 2010, reimporting user data via PST files. That strategy seems to have worked well enough, but I did of course get warnings upon disabling the boxes because the 2003 Information store was unavailable. Now, we have new drives, and I would like to restore  the machine running Exchange server 2003, at least long enough to properly  uninstall it and get it out of my AD. So the question is, what will happen if I bring the old exchange server back online? Will it just update to a state in which it no longer controls the mailboxes, or will it do bad things to the users that were forcibly moved?

Thanks,

--Al