Dear Colleagues,

Are you interested in teaching and learning about geologic time, and
in discussing the cognitive aspects of understanding deep time with
like-minded people? Would you like to better understand the challenges
your students struggle with as they learn about geologic time? From
January to May, 2011, the Temporal Learning Journal Club will meet
once a month, virtually, to discuss readings from the geoscience and
cognitive science literature. We will explore the cognitive
underpinnings of understanding geologic time, along with strategies
and methods to enhance student learning about time. To facilitate a
deep exploration of this topic, we will run the meetings as a series,
with participants committing to all five meetings if possible.

I encourage you to apply to be part of this group, and to pass this
invitation along to others you know who might be interested. For more
details about discussion themes, potential readings, and meeting dates
and times, see the website:
http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/time/journalclub.html

or go directly to the application form:
http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/time/application.html

The Temporal Learning Journal Club is part of the On the Cutting Edge
program for geoscience faculty professional development. The outcomes
of these discussions will help provide a foundation for continuing
work on teaching and learning about geologic time. The application
deadline is this coming Monday, December 6. I hope you will consider
joining us.

Sincerely,
Carol Ormand, on behalf of the conveners:
Cathy Manduca, SERC, Carleton College
David Mogk, Earth Sciences, Montana State University
Tim Shipley, Psychology, Temple University