It it difficult to get a comprehensive overview of the relative merits of different anti-virus software packages.  Webroot for example, is one of the best packages according to PC-Magazine but one of the worst according to av-test.org.   Microsoft’s Security Essentials software is free but apparently not as efficient as other options.  Panda appears to do well in all three reviews below but is quite expensive.  Personally, I would appreciate the university getting a volume purchase quote for a few alternatives to NOD32.  What do others think?

Laurence Bates

Windows 7 Anti-Virus Software Scores according to av-test.org

http://www.av-test.org/certifications?order=protection_desc&lang=en

ascending order,ascending order descending order,descending order

Product

Report

Certified

Score: 0.0 (worst) to 6.0 (best)

ascending orderascending orderdescending orderdescending order

Protection

ascending orderascending orderdescending orderdescending order

Repair

ascending orderascending orderdescending orderdescending order

Usability

Panda: Internet Security 2010

102211

yes

5.5

5.5

5

AVG: Internet Security 9.0

102253

yes

5.5

4

5

G Data: Internet Security 2010/2011

102239

yes

5.5

3.5

5.5

Kaspersky: Internet Security 2010

102248

yes

5

5.5

5.5

F-Secure: Internet Security 2010

102209

yes

5

5

5.5

PC Tools: Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus 7.0

102202

yes

5

4.5

3.5

McAfee: Internet Security 2010

102260

no

5

2

3.5

BitDefender: Internet Security Suite 2010

102274

yes

4.5

4

5.5

Avira: Premium Security Suite 10.0

102247

yes

4

5.5

4

Microsoft: Security Essentials 1.0

102237

yes

4

4.5

5.5

Eset: Smart Security 4.2

102214

yes

3.5

5

5

Webroot: Internet Security Essentials 6.1

102221

yes

3.5

4.5

4

Avast: Internet Security 5.0

102255

yes

3.5

4

5

BullGuard: Internet Security 9.0

102276

no

3.5

4

3

Trend Micro: Internet Security Pro 2010

102241

no

2.5

4.5

4.5

Norman: Security Suite 8.0

102245

no

2

4.5

3.5

Anti-Virus Software Scores according to PC Magazine

Anti-Virus Software Scores according to pcantivirusreviews.com

http://www.pcantivirusreviews.com/reviews/vipre_antivirus_software.html