From: Gary Schrock [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 3:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] hard drive disposal

On 11/29/2010 3:13 PM, Ryan M. Finn wrote:

We have a bin that I think we got from Recycling where we put all our old drives and tapes.  When the bin fills up, we call and have it picked up.  I was told the contents would be shredded, though I do not know if that’s done on campus or via a contracted company.  In any event, we zap everything with an electromagnet before we pitch it in the bin.

Interesting, because they definitely don't seem to list such a service on their website.  That's the type of thing I'd definitely be interested.  My original plan was to run a drill through them, but I've been piling up the number of drives that I wanted to do that to, and I'm probably looking at at least 50-60 now, probably more than that.  Some of the drives are good, some are bad, and I'm definitely not sitting around taking the time to wipe them with software.

Meanwhile, the pile will just grow bigger and bigger until I get around to doing something with them :).

Gary

I’ll go look and see if I can find some specifics about how we set that up.

Ryan M. Finn

Network Administrator

Michigan State University