From: Troy Murray [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2010 1:58 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Windows 7 Install on Dell OptiPlex GX520

I'm having a strange issue.  One of the lab systems here is a Dell OptiPlex GX520 with the latest BIOS A11 and a DVD-ROM / CD-RW drive.  If I put the Windows 7 Professional DVD that we received from the MSU Computer Store, the system won't see the disc.  If I use this DVD in other systems I'm able to install Windows 7 without issue, booting from the DVD of course.  However this particular OptiPlex GX520 won't read the DVD, acts as if there is no disc in the drive.  Other DVD's are readable without issue.

I downloaded Novicorp WinToFlash to create a bootable USB drive from the Windows 7 DVD media.  This created the USB drive correctly, however this Dell GX520 just freezes when trying to boot from the USB drive, regardless of the USB port I have the flash drive connected to.

Anyone else seen anything like this?

Troy Murray
Michigan State University        P: 517-355-4616
College of Medicine                 F: 517-353-5436
B228 Life Sciences                                  E: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>