Hello Network admins.
    I appreciate the help I get from this group so today  it is my turn to return the favor.   I have recently found a very weird bug in the install routine for Office 2010.   There is a simple solution but it is not easy to find or trouble shoot this problem.  It took me several hours of hair pulling.
      Problem description:   After installing MSoffice 2010, on a computer with Win XP Pro with all the latest security updates,   The windows desktop background image is stretched off of, or mispositioned on the monitor with part of the right side of the image positioned either off of the screen or on to the adjacent monitor #2 on the right side of a dual monitor setup.
      The monitor drivers were correct and the resolutions were correct and the graphic adapter drivers were correct.   The background image selected made no difference. The same symptoms occurred with a standard background image like "Azul" or a custom user image.   The same problem occurred with the correct monitor driver or a generic super vga monitor driver at the resolution to match my monitor.
    Problem resolution:  While logged in with the same account used to install the MSoffice 2010 software, Go to Settings, Control Panel,  Display, Desktop, Customize Desktop, Select the "Web" tab, look for a link that was installed by the Microsoft office install program and was left checked - enabled at the end of the install process and disable - uncheck the link and then delete the link from the list of available web images.   On my system the link was pointing to
"file///C:/Documents and settings/(user name of account used to install Office 2010)/local settings/Temp/msohtm/01/clip_image002.gif"
Note the "msohtm" is a microsoft office temp directory that was created by the office install routine.   At the end of the office install the contents of this directory were deleted so there was no "clip_image002.gif" file in the directory, but the link was still present and enabled under the "Customize Desktop, Web tab"
         This problem only affects the computer display for the user account (an administrator level account) used during the Office 2010 install process.   I had this problem with an install disk I recently received from the MSU computer store designed for Departmental Site license installs.   I assume it is probably present on other Office2010 install versions.   I am sure this is a Microsoft error and not the responsibility of our MSU Computer Store.

Attached please find a Help file for users who are converting from Office 2003 to Office 2010.   This is a copy of a Microsoft Web based help file that lists the location of commands in Office 2003 and points to the new locations in Office 2010.  I have created a *.doc version of this help file that can be easily printed.  I hope you will find it helpful.

Thanks for your help on my problems in the past.    Should I post this somewhere for access off campus?
Cliff

--
Clifford L. Beckett		office: 517-355-4659
Electronic System Designer        cell: 517-449-8226