i would suggest that we shift our concern away from ms. craft and direct our concern toward the issues that underlie the strong responses to the november listserv news . . .

it seems to me that one issue is what different organic groups want the word ?organic? to mean . . .

some organic groups want ?organic? to mean the usda/nop definition . . . in this case, there is nothing in the current federal rules and regulations that says that seeds from monsanto cannot qualify as organic . . .

other organic groups want ?organic? to mean less industrialized, more local, smaller scale . . . in this case, i think the discussion on this listserv would be benefited by people saying clearly ?here is what i want organic to mean, and here is why monsanto? does not fit into that definition . . .

while monsanto has come to represent all that some people see as bad about large scale highly industrialized agriculture, monsanto is just one of a number of global corporations that implement the highly industrialized agrifood system . . . i think it would help the discussion on this listserv if some of the participants could make clear what it is that makes those corporations different from other corporations whose involvement in organic food and agriculture is accepted . . .

cheers,

craig harris

craig k harris

department of sociology

michigan agricultural experiment station

national food safety and toxicology center

institute for food and agricultural standards

michigan state university

http://www.msu.edu/~harrisc/[1]

FROM: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
SENT: Friday, November 19, 2010 7:27 PM
TO: [log in to unmask]
SUBJECT: Re: November Organic Listserv, Nov 19, 2010

I agree.  The words "Organic"  and "Monsanto" on the same page is appaulling!!   COME ON MSU.... are they really that big of a research $$$$$$  patron at the college!!!!    Don't insult us this way!!    MONSANTO. DUPONT, BURPEE....ADM, etc.   Save that marketing stuff for the junk mail.   DOn't fill my box with ANYTHING produced by those companies.  PLEASEEEEEEEEEE