Hi organic growers,

The site below, GM Watch,  has a lot of information regarding
problems around the world, many caused by our own country and large
corporations.  I suggest signing up as a trial and  see what is
happening in the real world.  You can sign up for daily, weekly and
monthly info.  This is a non profit based in England.  Jonathan
Matthews and Claire Robinson work very hard to educate the world.  We
are responsible for this tiny planet.  All of us.

This also gives a bit of perspective of who the players of this very
dangerous GM game are.

Don Dunklee

http://www.gmwatch.org/

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "GMWatch" <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: November 21, 2010 1:10:05 PM GMT-05:00
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: GMW: Tell USDA to say no to GM beets
>

> COMMENT from Phil Bereano: We are NOT ready for Roundup Ready
> Beets, and we all need to tell the US government that. Those of you
> from other countries, please send in as well--(1) you will be
> getting exports filled with GE sugars and (2) Monsanto will soon be
> knocking on the door of your country's regulatory agency. Remember
> that there is no government assessment of these GE crops in the US,
> and the process/information is not transparent.
>
> Please circulate this to your networks.
> ---
> ---
> USDA Proposing Interim Planting of Illegal, Genetically Engineered
> Sugar Beets: Tell USDA To Say No!
> Center for Food Safety, November 19 2010
> http://truefoodnow.org/2010/11/19/usda-proposing-interim-planting-
> of-illegal-genetically-engineered-sugar-beets-tell-usda-to-say-no/
> http://bit.ly/drpys2
>
> In August, a Federal court ruled that USDA's approval of
> genetically engineered (GE), Roundup Ready sugar beets was
> unlawful, concluding that USDA had failed to conduct an adequate
> analysis of the impacts of this crop on farmers and the
> environment, such as the biological contamination of non-GE crops
> with GE pollen.	The Court made the biotech beets once again illegal
> to plant or sell until USDA completed a rigorous review of the
> potential impacts of the beets to farmers, the environment and the
> public and makes a new decision whether to allow commercialization.
> USDA anticipates this assessment will be finished in 2012.
>
> Now, under pressure from Monsanto and the sugar industry, USDA has
> proposed to allow the planting of GE beets again beginning next
> spring, before the agency completes its environmental assessment of
> the crop’s impacts.
>
> This USDA proposal would allow commercialization to continue under
> the guise of field trial permits, which are only used for research.
> USDA's actions are a "de facto" commercialization creating an end
> run around the need for future approvals and their analyses.
>
> The USDA proposal includes new measures, claiming these will keep
> harms to farmers and the environment from occurring.	But these are
> the same measures that the Federal Court refused to adopt in August
> when it announced GE beets were illegal under federal law. And they
> are the same measures the agency was charged with analyzing in its
> yet to be completed environmental impact statement.
>
> USDA, under the influence of the biotech industry, must not be
> allowed to circumvent environmental law and the opinion of the U.S.
> courts, or ignore farmer choice and public opinion. Tell USDA its
> illegal proposal must not be approved!
>
> USDA has a comment period open only through December 6, 2010, so
> please send your comment today: https://secure3.convio.net/cfs/site/
> [...]

If you would like to access previous postings to the Mich-Organic listserv you can copy and paste the following URL into your browser address bar
 http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html