Following message from Harriet Behar, herself an owner/operator of a
certified organic farm, and staff at MOSES.  -s.

Hello all,

I was forwarded the discussion about becoming organic by Sue Raker.  I have
a few additions to her comments.  The organic community asked the USDA to
become involved since without a clear nationwide standard, the word of
organic was open to abuse in the marketplace, the same way we see abuse of
the word natural or sustainable.  In order to truly gain consumer
confidence, we needed one standard and accompanying enforcement.  In
recognition that farmers with lower incomes would find the cost of
certification prohibitive, and therefore not be able to access the organic
marketplace, the USDA distributes money to the states for "cost share" on
the cost of certification.  I believe MOFFA is helping to distribute this
money in Michigan, but perhaps someone from Michigan can verify this for
me.

A farmer can receive 3/4 of the cost of certification back once they are
certified, a maximum of  $750.  Lastly, being an organic farmer, or any type
of farmer, is a lifelong learning experience, and organic certification
encourages continual improvement.  This benefits the farmer, the consumer
and the environment that we all share.  The list of allowed synthetic inputs
in organic is very small in compared to what is used in conventional
agriculture, with all approved items going through a rigorous review before
being allowed.  The criteria includes affect on the environment, humans,
animals and wildlife in the manufacture, use and disposal of the product.  A
synthetic is typically not allowed if there is an alternative natural
product or method that deals with the issue.

The Midwest Organic Sustainable Education Service (MOSES) has lots of free
resources on our website www.mosesorganic.org, and you can even signup to
receive a free subscription to our bimonthly newsletter The Organic
Broadcaster focused on organic production and policy issues on our website.
I staff a tollfree organic info line 888-551-4769, and answer questions
during business hours.  Feel free to get in touch.

Harriet

If you would like to access previous postings to the Mich-Organic listserv you can copy and paste the following URL into your browser address bar
 http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html