From: "Stockmeyer, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: October 22, 2010 9:31:04 AM EDT
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: Neuroscience Program Seminar, 10-28-10

Seminar

Lee E. Miller
Northwestern University

 Cortical plasticity and the bi-directional
Brain Machine Interface

The brain machine interface (BMI) has undergone considerable development in the past 10 years, but with few exceptions, has remained entirely an efferent interface.  We have begun work to develop an afferent interface to provide proprioceptive feedback to monkey subjects using stimulation through multi-electrode arrays implanted in somatosensory cortex.  We are also investigating the plastic changes that occur within the cortex as a result of the Hebbian associations that result when this stimulation occurs in close synchrony with spiking activity in other parts of the brain.  Ultimately, we hope to combine the afferent and efferent interfaces in a single animal, and to use appropriately patterned stimulation to drive plastic changes that would assist the monkey’s natural adaptation

Host: Dr. Karim Oweiss

Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 12:30 pm
Biomedical & Physical Sciences Building
Room 1425