I second the tarsnap recommendation--they run off Amazon S3 which has
been tried and tested. I personally use a piece of software called Arq
(http://www.haystacksoftware.com/arq/) which also uses the S3
infrastructure. Their backup scheme is similar to Git and your backups
are versioned, encrypted and can be unencrypted even if the company
goes away (they open-sourced the document format the restore
software).

Finally, to address the question of safe cloud backups: backing up to
the cloud should never be your only backup option. You should have
these same files backed-up locally and possibly in a third, local
offsite facility. Losing your cloud backups shouldn't be an issue
because they shouldn't be your only backups.

--
Jeff Siarto
CAS IT Office

http://it.cas.msu.edu