http://gizmodo.com/5657842/set-up-a-simple-web-streaming-home-surveillance-system

pretty sure in this case, the url says it all….

Just came up on giz today.

From: Ehren Benson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 10:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] home webcam surveillance

Hi,

Pardon the influx of posts from me, I’ve been thinking about this stuff for a while and would like some input but have been really busy and every time I thought about them they got pushed away by something else!

I would really like to have a webcam and a small pc at home function as a extremely basic surveillance system.  I had something like this running a long time ago but whatever software I used I either cant find or is defunct by now.  What I would like is very basic, the most important is to be able to view the camera from the web, any functions beyond that would be just nice added bonuses.

I’d prefer the software to be freeware but something that is inexpensive would be ok as well.  Has anyone used anything like this before?

Thanks!

Ehren J. Benson, MCSE

Windows Systems Administrator

Department of Physics and Astronomy