Friends,

Have a graduating student looking to get teaching experience? Please pass along the following announcement regarding a temporary position at the University of Montana Western in Dillon. We are located about 2 hours west of Yellowstone National Park and are the first and only public university on the block system (a single class for 18 days). We are VERY flexible about the subject and design of the three general education courses we need for this spring and encourage innovation. Thanks for your help....Rob

University of Montana Western Temporary Position: 1/10/11 to 5/4/11

The Environmental Sciences Department at the University of Montana Western seeks an innovative instructor to fill a full-time, temporary position teaching three introductory-level geology courses during the spring semester of 2011. The teaching responsibilities begin on January 10, 2011 and will be completed on May 4, 2011. An earned Ph.D. in Geology or related field is preferred, and candidates should have experience with field-based education and research. Candidates should demonstrate excellence in undergraduate teaching and be able to teach introductory geology courses in an immersion scheduling system where student’s take and faculty teach a single course for 18 instructional days.

The University of Montana Western, located in Dillon, Montana, is an innovative small institution nestled in a scenic valley in the Rocky Mountains of southwestern Montana.  The campus enrolls approximately 1400 students and has small class sizes, usually less than 25 students.  Dillon, a community of ~6,000, is known for outstanding public schools, safe living environment, recreational opportunities, and an excellent standard of living.  Montana Western’s small size and focus on educational innovation have earned it a national reputation, and it is a place where faculty choose to collegially and creatively make a difference in the way that their curricula are delivered.  Montana Western is one of only a few schools in the nation that uses “Experience One” immersion scheduling (students taking one course at a time), allowing increased opportunities for experiential types of learning (see http://my.umwestern.edu/ for more information).

Review of applications will begin November 1, 2010 and will continue until the position is filled.  Application materials should include a letter of interest, a curriculum vitae including the contact information for three professional references, and a statement about how the candidate will use immersion scheduling to teach introductory geology courses.  Please send application materials to Dr. Rob Thomas, Department of Environmental Sciences, The University of Montana Western, Dillon, MT 59725.  Final candidates will need to successfully complete a phone interview and an onsite interview, which will include a public presentation.

The University of Montana-Western is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and encourages applications from qualified women, minorities, Vietnam era veterans and people with disabilities.  Position eligible for veteran’s preference in accordance with State law.  Finalists for this position will be subject to a criminal background investigation.

Robert C. Thomas, Ph.D.
Environmental Sciences Department
The University of Montana Western
Dillon, MT 59725
(406) 683-7615

"I'll know my song well, before I start singin'"...Dylan