  From: Frank D. Granshaaw
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:18 PM
  Subject: Re: Geoscience reliance on fieldwork

  Thanks everyone for the lively discussion and the insights.  For those of you who are going to be at GSA it would be great to meet and continue this discussion.

  A little bit of background on my original questions.  I'm in the last stages of a dissertation on the impact of virtual field environment design and use on teacher education.  I also spend the bulk of my teaching time working with non-majors.  So I have a strong interest in how VFEs can be used to support field education, how their design reflects authentic fieldwork, and how they can be used to give students a "taste" of fieldwork when getting into the field isn't possible.

  Cheers
  Frank G.

  Frank Granshaw

  Earth Science Instructor