  Academic Technology Services (ATS) has developed a new version of our
Streaming Media Service which uses a Virtual Machine(VM) as a front end
server and the Andrew File System (AFS) for media storage.  We would
like your help on October 15, 2010 between 9:00 AM -10:00 AM and 2:00
PM-3:00 PM.  During these times we need 30 or more testers to follow the
"script" below while ATS personal monitor the performance of the VM and
AFS.  To participate in this test you will need the following software
installed:

Web Browser (IE, Firefox, Safari, etc.)
Quicktime Player (http://www.apple.com/quicktime)
RealPlayer (http://www.real.com)

Session One

     * Open Quicktime Player
     * Use File --> Open URL... and copy/paste the media link
     * Play each media file at the time listed and play for at lease 5
minutes
     * 9:00 -- http://media-portal.isvm.ats.msu.edu/bcs/egr291/91108.mp4
     * 9:05 --
http://media-portal.isvm.ats.msu.edu/bcs/egr291fall09/12.15.09_Sec_2_Part_1.mov
     * 9:10 --
http://media-portal.isvm.ats.msu.edu/bcs/egr291fall09/12.15.09_Sec_2_Part_2.mov
     * 9:15 --
http://media-portal.isvm.ats.msu.edu/storemedia/download/brakoni1/PIR/Interns/AG/AG_032910_Day1_ClassroomVideo_Part1.mp4
     * 9:20 --
http://media-portal.isvm.ats.msu.edu/storemedia/download/brakoni1/PIR/Interns/AG/AG_032910_Day1_ClassroomVideo_Part2.mp4
     * Open a Web Browser
     * Access the URL's at the times listed and play media for at lease
5 minutes
     * 9:25 --
http://media-portal.isvm.ats.msu.edu/storemedia/packages/bradyt/4b44ee315bdd4/PSL250-US08-MembraneTransport1.html
     * 9:30 --
http://media-portal.isvm.ats.msu.edu/storemedia/packages/bradyt/4b8d503d7f829/PSL250-US08-Digestive2.html
     * Open Real Player
     * Use File --> Open and copy/paste the media link
     * Play each media file at the time listed and play for at lease 5
minutes
     * 9:35 --
rtsp://media-portal.isvm.ats.msu.edu/storemedia/streaming/atabaypi/IAH201/CISAH201_23_Immigration.rmvb
     * 9:40 --
rtsp://media-portal.isvm.ats.msu.edu/storemedia/streaming/atabaypi/IAH201/CISAH201_26_WWI.rmvb
     * 9:45 --
rtsp://media-portal.isvm.ats.msu.edu/bcs/wkar/quizbusters/qb1613.rm
     * 9:50 - 10:00 Play any of the above media files and use multiple
copies of the media players

Session Two

     * Open Quicktime Player
     * Use File --> Open URL... and copy/paste the media link
     * Play each media file at the time listed and play for at lease 5
minutes
     * 2:00 -- http://media-portal.isvm.ats.msu.edu/bcs/egr291/91108.mp4
     * 2:05 --
http://media-portal.isvm.ats.msu.edu/bcs/egr291fall09/12.15.09_Sec_2_Part_1.mov
     * 2:10 --
http://media-portal.isvm.ats.msu.edu/bcs/egr291fall09/12.15.09_Sec_2_Part_2.mov
     * 2:15 --
http://media-portal.isvm.ats.msu.edu/storemedia/download/brakoni1/PIR/Interns/AG/AG_032910_Day1_ClassroomVideo_Part1.mp4
     * 2:20 --
http://media-portal.isvm.ats.msu.edu/storemedia/download/brakoni1/PIR/Interns/AG/AG_032910_Day1_ClassroomVideo_Part2.mp4
     * Open a Web Browser
     * Access the URL's at the times listed and play media for at lease
5 minutes
     * 2:25 --
http://media-portal.isvm.ats.msu.edu/storemedia/packages/bradyt/4b44ee315bdd4/PSL250-US08-MembraneTransport1.html
     * 2:30 --
http://media-portal.isvm.ats.msu.edu/storemedia/packages/bradyt/4b8d503d7f829/PSL250-US08-Digestive2.html
     * Open Real Player
     * Use File --> Open and copy/paste the media link
     * Play each media file at the time listed and play for at lease 5
minutes
     * 2:35 --
rtsp://media-portal.isvm.ats.msu.edu/storemedia/streaming/atabaypi/IAH201/CISAH201_23_Immigration.rmvb
     * 2:40 --
rtsp://media-portal.isvm.ats.msu.edu/storemedia/streaming/atabaypi/IAH201/CISAH201_26_WWI.rmvb
     * 2:45 --
rtsp://media-portal.isvm.ats.msu.edu/bcs/wkar/quizbusters/qb1613.rm
     * 2:50 - 3:00 Play any of the above media files and use multiple
copies of the media players

If you have questions/comments during the testing sessions ATS personal
will be monitoring ATS IRC channel #StreamingTest.  Look at
http://chat.ats.msu.edu/connect.htm for information on how to connect to
ATS IRC.

We would like your thoughts on the overall performance of this new
system.  Please use the following questions as a starting point for your
feedback:

    1. How long did it take for each media file to start playing?
    2. What was the quality of the video?
    3. How many times did the video pause to refill the cache?
    4. Was the video and audio in sync?

If you would like to help with this testing please reply to
[log in to unmask] and include your session availability.

Thanks for Your Help,

Jeff E Piper
Multimedia Administrator
Academic Technology Services