Hi Julie,

You may want to look at Hoisch and Bowie, 2010 (JGE V58, n3).  The article
mainly focuses on student's perceptions of geoscientist careers for
recruitment purposes, but you may find what you are looking for in some of
the references they give.  I haven't had a chance to look at them in depth,
but it wouldn't hurt to glance at it and see if anything sparks your
interest.

Good luck.

Gary

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Julie Sexton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>  Colleagues,
>

> I am looking for a report, article, or other source of information that
> describes the percentage of time geoscientists in academia, industry, and
> government spend doing field work, office work, lab work, teaching, etc. So
> I would like to know the types of tasks geoscientists do at work and what
> percentage of a geoscientist's time is spent on each task. I realize that
> there is a lot of variability, so whatever info I can get would be helpful.
> Does anybody know of a report, article, or source that may have this
> information?
>

> Thanks for your help.
>

> Julie Sexton
>
> Research Associate
>
> University of Northern Colorado

Gary Glesener
Director,
The Modeling and Educational Demonstrations Laboratory (MEDL)
Earth & Space Sciences, UCLA

595 Charles Young Drive East,
Box 951567
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1567