I'm not sure how many people have been watching this, but Microsoft is going to release RDP 7.1 with Win7/2008R2 SP1 which is offering some major improvements to the RDP protocol. Basically, it moves all the rendering client-side and transmits it over an optimized protocol instead of compressed bitmaps, which can eliminate the traditional problems with RDP and anything that isn't GDI+. They're really pimping the Hyper-V integration but it also appears to support straight terminal services, so in theory you can run multiple user sessions on the same kernel with Aero composition that are all sharing the same commodity graphics hardware for rendering. Great for a kiosk environment. Assuming they come through on their promises, this looks like it will be the best all-around Windows VDI product on the market at the moment, considering that PCoIP can only do 1:1 with hardware rendering at the moment and the heavy MS discounts we have.

http://www.brianmadden.com/blogs/brianmadden/archive/2010/07/13/microsoft-remotefx-is-now-available-via-public-beta.aspx

http://www.msteched.com/2010/NorthAmerica/VIR305

David Graff
Physical Plant