From: Leo Sell [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Question about mail.msu.edu block lists

At 5:12 PM -0400 8/19/10, Chris Wolf wrote:
>Can you explain this a little more thoroughly? I read the article you
>referenced but I'm still not clear what happened.
>
>I looked at my own Accept/Block list and see some entries there that
>look like ancient history and which I thought were removed years ago.
>Are you saying that these were disabled at some point, yet saved
>somewhere in the system, and now they have been made active again?

Not necessarily disabled. But the Accept/Block lists were only operative
when logged in to mail.msu.edu aka webmail.  The lists existed but did not
have an effect when checking via a mail client.

And service sponsors decided not to try and bifurcate the data by age. All
existing data in the lists, regardless of how long ago it may have been
added to the list, was migrated.

/L
--
Leo Sell