Hi
Sounds interesting. I suggest you consider adding:
Clair Cameron Patterson for U-Pb isotopes (dating the earth and removing lead from the environment)
and
Willard Libby for the C-14 method (dating artifacts and ice ages).
So, I guess the technology would be a mass spectrometer.
cheers
Steve Mattox
Grand Valley State University

>>> Karen Campbell <[log in to unmask]> 8/27/2010 9:18 AM >>>
Good morning,
I will be teaching an undergraduate "J-Term" course that is the
capstone in a STEM minor sequence.  It focuses on Earth Science, but
also revisits other elements of STEM.  My fellow instructors and I are
looking for suggestions of "McPhee-style" texts for the course that
highlight the (often unintended) ways in which technological advances
pave the way for scientific breakthroughs.  Ideally, these would be
about Plate Tectonics or Global Warming breakthroughs, but we are open
to other stories that relate to Earth science (including astronomy and
meteorology as this is a course aimed at Education majors).

Many thanks,
Karen Campbell
Education Director
National Center for Earth-surface Dynamics
St. Anthony Falls Laboratory
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN

GVSU celebrates 50 years of shaping lives