Hi-while it doesn't deal with Plate Tectonics, the book "T. Rex and the
Craters of Doom" by Walter (?) Alverez (I think that is the title, I'm
sitting in a hotel room in LA without access to my library) does tell the
story of how developments in physics lead to the discovery of a mechanism
for dinosaur extinction...It's a good read too.

Larry Davis

On 8/27/10 9:18 AM, "Karen Campbell" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Good morning,
> I will be teaching an undergraduate "J-Term" course that is the
> capstone in a STEM minor sequence.  It focuses on Earth Science, but
> also revisits other elements of STEM.  My fellow instructors and I are
> looking for suggestions of "McPhee-style" texts for the course that
> highlight the (often unintended) ways in which technological advances
> pave the way for scientific breakthroughs.  Ideally, these would be
> about Plate Tectonics or Global Warming breakthroughs, but we are open
> to other stories that relate to Earth science (including astronomy and
> meteorology as this is a course aimed at Education majors).
>
> Many thanks,
> Karen Campbell
> Education Director
> National Center for Earth-surface Dynamics
> St. Anthony Falls Laboratory
> University of Minnesota
> Minneapolis, MN

R. Laurence Davis, Ph.D.
Professor of Earth and Environmental Sciences
University Research Scholar
Department of Biology and Environmental Sciences
University of New Haven
300 Boston Post Road
West Haven, Connecticut 06516
Office: 203-932-7108    Fax: 203-931-6097

UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAVEN-
A Leader in Experiential Education