Don't have an exact answer for you, but:

 - are there any other errors/warnings in the logs regarding Exchange?
 - particularly, errors related to database clean-up, size limits being
reached, failures to process routine maintenance tasks in normal time
limits?  this is what i think of off-hand to address an intermittent
issue that arises after server has been running for some time.  some
maintenance task ran in exchange and failed to process leaving something
buried in the back-end in a hung or non-responsive state
 - how high have you cranked up the logging on account creation routines
and on exchange server address list.  i'd (temporarily!) crank some
related settings up to 'verbose' and see what kind of output is
generated in logs when you create an account.  maybe you'll identify
some problem with your mail policies or your address book settings?

those are the first things that come to my mind.  the 'email address'
policy can be touchy and the default address list i have seen generate
errors of various importance without ever changing it much.

- Joe

--
Joseph M. Deming
System Administrator