Hi Dak,
If the computer in question was purchased through Dell's home or business discount pricing,  which is easily done if the computer is purchased using an MSU credit card,  the original purchase will be charged sales tax.   This is true no mater what the sales person on the telephone may tell you when you place the order.   And,  as far as I know there is no way to get a refund on this sales tax once the computer arrives and you see the sales tax on the receipt, except to refuse delivery on the computer and return it to Dell and reorder through the computer store or our MSU dell sales rep.([log in to unmask] the last time I checked).   Only he or she, (or the computer store has said in the past that they can match this price also but I have not tried this method??) can match the home or business pricing and still send the order through as a educational order which will not be charged sales tax.
        I did not know that this would follow through to create problems with parts orders.   The solution for parts would be to find someone with a similar computer on campus (ordered through the educational channel) and order the spare parts using that computers service tag number.
Cliff

--
Clifford L. Beckett		office: 517-355-4659
Electronic System Designer        cell: 517-449-8226

Aldrich, Dak wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite"> Dell / Tax Exempt issue So, I went to order some spare parts from Dell today, on a laptop that I ordered via the Cstore.

She quoted me the cost, tax and shipping.  I mentioned it should be tax exempt, and she said that she shows the account listed with the service tag that I gave her is not marked for tax removal.

I have no idea how to go about remedying this.  I don’t want to have to pay sales tax, and do paperwork after the fact to get it back, when it should be tax exempt up front.

Maybe It was a one time fluke... Someone didn’t know what they were talking about on their end...  Which is more than possible.  It took me 55 minutes, 14 transfers and 3 disconnects to actually get to someone in Spare Parts.  (Was transferred to the South American support line 3 times, by the automated attendant...)

THANK GOD IT’S FRIDAY!  Anyone else up for a drink?  LOL

-dak aldrich
-network admin
-college of music, MSU
[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
-517.432.5045
-http://comit.music.msu.edu

This message is only for the intended recipient(s).  If you are not the named recipient you should not read, distribute or copy this email.  Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the author and do not represent those of Michigan State University or the College of Music.  Any information obtained from or contained in these emails is confidential.  No information will be shared or given to any persons outside of the appropriate department(s).