From: John Valenti [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:29 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Phishing response?

hi,

I was just curious if there is a consensus on what IT people should be doing for phishing attempts?
	(mostly for emails that my faculty/staff report to me, or forward and ask if it is legitimate)

1. suggest they report it themselves
2. work with them to obtain headers and report it personally 3. respond directly to faculty/staff, but don't bother reporting 4. something else?

I usually do #1 or #3, depending on how good the attempt is.
But sometimes I'm surprised by how amateurish the messages are, and still people will ask if it is legitimate.
thanks
-John

This message is only for the intended recipient(s).
If you are not the named recipient you should not read,
distribute or copy this email.  Any views or opinions
expressed in this email are those of the author and do
not represent those of Michigan State University or the
College of Music.  Any information obtained from or
contained in these emails is confidential.  No
information will be shared or given to any persons
outside of the appropriate department(s).