In our case it is likely that we are <and possibly will be> keeping a spreadsheet that contains that information.  We were hoping that we would be getting rid of the spreadsheet with the deployment of EBSP but apparently not.  There are quite a few things that we encumber such as conferences, classes, student pay, software licenses, equipment purchases and renewable contract fees.

We found that without the ability to encumber funds, it would be very difficult to make projections and to get accurate snapshots of balances.

I believe that we did ask the question in a number of EBSP meetings and the answer was that this feature will not be available but possibly can be added later.

Firm.

From: l duynslager [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 11:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] EBSP Accounts and Salary Encumbrances

Hi Fellow Nag Members:

According to what I’ve heard from my department’s accounting person,  the new departmental EBSP accounting module will not encumber salary funds in department accounts.

Encumbering  means that those funds would still remain in those accounts but they are locked up so they can’t be used for other purposes.

Each pay period these encumbered funds are debited from accounts to pay  certain employee’s salaries.

Are any of you I.T. aware of this and have your Account personnel approached you?

If you know of this problem and how  it will affect you, how are you planning to address the issue?

LD