That probably depends on your reader. In a certain popular web reader, which may or may not start with G and end with mail, but which we would never use to check our MSU e-mail, your message contained 4 links, all of which worked correctly.

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Byers, Sharon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
As demonstrated in the message below (www.sitename.org and sitename.org)
mail readers automatically format a www* URL as a hyperlink.  When we
cite Stuinfo.msu.edu we have to remember to use http://stuinfo.msu.edu
if we want it to show up in the user's email as a hyperlink.  That may
be a minor advantage, but it IS useful.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph M. Deming [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2010 10:32 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] www. required on URLs?

In purely personal opinion I wouldn't consider it 'broken'.  There's so
much use for DNS these days that I've had several situations where it's
preferable to only register one or the other (www.sitename.org  and
sitename.org ) for the sake of your website, and intentionally leave the
other non-registered or pointing elsewhere.  But really, it is just one
more DNS record that is best added to do both (www) and bare, so in most
situations it is desirable to do so.  But, take Wordpress (I think it's
wordpress) for example, if you have both www.example.org and example.org
pointing to the same site, and someone is browsing a subsite of
'example.org' and somehow click on a link that has a FQDN
www.example.org the site gets confused and thinks you're not logged in
anymore because the login cookie was for 'example.org'.  So, to make
Wordpress work for that you have to have a re-write in your apache
rules.  This is just one example of where it can be a minor issue and
sometimes just having one resolvable DNS name for your site saves some
work.

On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 10:20 -0400, Brian Hoort wrote:
> I remember a time in the early nineties when "www." was practically
required
> on all URLs.  E.g. http://www.msu.edu, not http://msu.edu.   These
days
> sites almost universally work with or without it.  I notice that the
MSU

--
Joseph M. Deming
System Administrator