On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 10:20:14AM -0400, Brian Hoort wrote:

> I remember a time in the early nineties when "www." was practically required
> on all URLs.  E.g. http://www.msu.edu, not http://msu.edu.   These days
> sites almost universally work with or without it.  I notice that the MSU
> home page works both ways, as does my college and department sites, and all
> corporate sites I can think of.  Interestingly the MSU Library still
> requires this.  http://lib.msu.edu  does not work.
>
> In general, what is the feeling out there on this?  From a usability
> standpoint, do you think this is just webmaster preference, or is this
> considered "broken" these days?

It is just a matter of whether the entity creating/hosting the web
site has registered both addresses for it.

I think most sites do this just for user convenience.

So, if you think the library should use both, then tell them it would
save hours of wasted time of you having to type the full name or
reenter it because you forgot they don't accept both.

////jerry