Dear colleagues,

A project funded by the Australian Learning and Teaching Council (ALTC) is developing online surveys to canvas perceptions of graduate employability from the perspectives of students, employers and course teaching teams.  There is an opportunity to participate in the pilot of the surveys: the project is willing to share resources and set up and report data for courses or departments within and beyond Australia. Data will potentially enable benchmarking with a focus on graduate employability at the discipline level.

I thought this might be an interesting opportunity to compare perceptions of graduate employability on an international scale within the Geosciences. As there is no funding attached to this work it would have to be very small-scale – perhaps one course in one institution per country. Although this might not be a large enough dataset for a true international comparison, it would be a very useful and interesting starting point to identify key issues, differences in discourse and perception. I have discussed this idea with the PI (Beverley Oliver) and she is keen for our discipline to be involved.

I anticipate that involvement would require a commitment to encouraging / enabling your students, employer-contacts and fellow colleagues to complete an online survey. The project will analyse and report the data.

If you would be interested in getting involved please let me know as soon as possible. It would be great if the Geosciences could provide an international perspective to this project. Please forward this message to anyone else who might be interested.

For more information go to http://web.me.com/beverleyoliver1/benchmarking/About.html  and follow the link to Graduate Employability Indicators.

All the best,

Helen

Helen King Consultancy

Personal & Professional Development in Higher Education

http://www.helenkingconsultancy.co.uk