At a different university, I had to deal with a court-ordered discovery once where the judge made us restore and print out all every employee email for 3 years prior. Apparently, there aren't any global rules for what administrators are supposed to do or not do. It's based mostly on whatever lawyers and judges come up with at any given time. I also heard threats (that didn't come true) about how we individual admins could be liable for whatever we did working on the university systems. So, the AUP policy really should be better, and it would be really good if the university lawyers came up with guidelines for this stuff.  Admins shouldn't have to be in the position of making legal decisions.

--
Matt Cain