We do all our virtualization with Xen.  It probably will never take over
the high-end role of VMWare and what M$ is trying to get a handle on,
and there's a lot of manual work/troubleshooting to be done on it while
trying to get answers from the open-source community.  But I think it
does fit the description of 'free'.  We started with VMWare but I could
see the way that ESX (2.0 at the time) was going (more restrictive on
'free' version) and it couldn't seem to tell time due to a serious lost
clock-tick flaw existing at the time.  Turns out time-keeping is
important when trying to keep security tokens and tickets working.  Xen
will probably continue to lag behind the other 2, but it too is making
improvements.