I am also sticking with 4GB RAM until the prices for 8GB modules drop.  In my newer systems, that allows for a 48GB base but, unfortunately, no expansion without replacement.

Laurence

From: Ryan M. Finn [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, June 17, 2010 8:37 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] How much memory in your VM hosts?

At the time we bought our hosts, I felt that the cost to jump from 32GB to 64GB was way too high for the limited benefit it would provide.  I added hosts to our setup instead.  Right now, we are running five hosts with 32GB and dual Xeon E5450s.  What I’ve been doing is, anytime we need to buy a new system for something outside our virtual environment that will probably be virtualized in the future, setting up the system as close as practical to what I would want in our virtual setup, so that the hardware can be reclaimed as an additional host with little to no additional cost.

Ryan M. Finn

Microsoft Network Administrator

Michigan State University

Division of Residential and Hospitality Services

Information Services Department

517.355.4637