This from Karin Kirk:

Mike Phillips at Illinois Valley Community College has developed
geology courses using second life. He gave a presentation about this
at the 2009 GSA annual meeting
http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2009AM/finalprogram/abstract_163063.htm

Mike's home page http://www2.ivcc.edu/phillips/index.html

Cathy

On May 24, 2010, at 3:31 PM, Julie Libarkin wrote:

> Iris Totten at Kansas State has done some amazing work (like
> reproducing the Devonian!) in Second Life. This was mostly for high
> school, I think, but could easily work in college.
>
> Julie Libarkin
> Associate Professor, Director - Geocognition Research Lab
> Michigan State University
> 206 Natural Science
> East Lansing, MI 48824
>
> Affiliations: Department of Geological Sciences, Division of Science
> and Mathematics Education, Cognitive Science Program, Center for
> Research on College Science Teaching and Learning
>
> Phone: 517-355-8369
> https://www.msu.edu/~libarkin
> Editor for Production, Journal of Geoscience Education
>
> On May 24, 2010, at 4:07 PM, Bhattacharyya, Juk wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>> I’ve recently become part of a Second Life users learning community
>> at UW-Whitewater… have any of you developed any geology course
>> modules in Second Life? I’m tentatively thinking of creating field-
>> based activities in SL… where students can measure outcrop
>> orientations, “collect” samples… etc., and then use that data back
>> in classroom for making/interpreting geologic maps… not sure
>> whether this will even work at this point.
>>
>> Any suggestions/feedback will be most appreciated.  Please contact
>> me at [log in to unmask]
>> Thanks
>> juk

>> “It is precisely for this that I love geology.  It is infinite and
>> ill-defined: like poetry, it immerses itself in mysteries and
>> floats among them without drowning.  It does not manage to lay bare
>> the unknown, but it flaps the surrounding veils to and fro, and
>> every so often gleams of light escape and dazzle one’s vision.”
>> R. Töpffer, Nouvelles genevoises (1841)
>>
>> Dr. Prajukti (juk) Bhattacharyya
>> Assistant professor
>> Department of Geography and Geology
>> Upham Hall 119
>> 800 Main St.
>> Whitewater, WI 53190
>> Ph: (262) 472-5257
>> Email: [log in to unmask]

Cathryn A Manduca
Director, Science Education Resource Center
Executive Director, National Association of Geoscience Teachers
Carleton College
1 N College Street
Northfield, MN  55057
507 222 7096