I am currently teaching a natural disasters course on-line (as an adjunct
for Illinois State Univ.).  I meet with the class in Second Life twice each
week.  I use the Second Life classroom for real-time interaction with the
students (lecture & powerpoint & to answer questions).  The students are
very interactive and it provides an opportunity to clarify points of
confusion real-time.  During the course, students visit the NOAA tsunami
simulation.  I also have the students complete two term papers on natural
hazards that impact the community in which they live.  In addition to the
papers, they also have to submit a power point overview of each project.  I
convert the powerpoints into jpgs and display them as posters in 2nd Life.
The students are then able to view each other's work.

Bill Shields, my contact at Illinois State, has created a number of 3-d
displays that he directs students in his F2F lecture class to use.  They
include faults, crystal models, & a strike & dip example.

In Second Life search for "Illinois State University Geo Island"

Mike Phillips
IVCC Geology
ISU Geology