Iris Totten at Kansas State has done some amazing work (like reproducing the Devonian!) in Second Life. This was mostly for high school, I think, but could easily work in college.

Julie Libarkin
Associate Professor, Director - Geocognition Research Lab
Michigan State University
206 Natural Science
East Lansing, MI 48824

Affiliations: Department of Geological Sciences, Division of Science and Mathematics Education, Cognitive Science Program, Center for Research on College Science Teaching and Learning

Phone: 517-355-8369
https://www.msu.edu/~libarkin
Editor for Production, Journal of Geoscience Education