In most MSU buildings, which are pretty solidly built, if the room you're in
doesn't have a window, aren't you pretty safe from a tornado anyway? There
could be some exceptions, but as a general rule...

-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry McAllister [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 5:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Emergency Warning Anecdote

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 08:03:35PM +0000, Amy Fekete wrote:

> Although, there are situations where you just won't know about emergencies
such as these. I have a cubicle and no outside window - I didn't even know
it was raining and I didn't/couldn't hear the sirens. I didn't receive a
phone call from my emergency yellow hat. So I was sitting at my desk working
with no clue about the tornado warning and that the sirens going off. So, in
my opinion - the "system" would have been the only way I would have heard
about the emergency.

Sounds like you need to get hazzard pay.

> Amy

"system", not just one part.  Again, mass-notifications are the way that you
will notify you first -- in our case the sirens, CATV, Fire-System
enunciators, TV and Radio.  E-Mail, SMS and others (Twitter, etc), are
supplemental, and are best for those who cannot be reached by these mass
communication methods.  Again, your building's emergency contact should have
also relayed the notification to you.

But, this kind of event turns in to a test of the system and reveals first
its weaknesses (and strengths, if any) and that one must not overly rely on
any system.

////jerry

> I think the entire 'system' worked pretty well.  Luckily we were not in
the immediate path of danger, as some of the supplementary systems did break
down (or were delayed).  The system as a whole will only get better as the
University continues to tweak, test and deploy additional ways to have
communication go out to the community.

> In an emergency, keep your eyes and ears open.  Respond to any official
communications you get, and relay that to those around you.  Don't depend on
personal communications like phone calls, emails, SMSs as your only source
of information.  It is YOUR responsibility to find out more.

> -Nick

40,000 paying customers depend on it.