On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 21:51:23 GMT, "Martha (Dindoffer) Dopkowski"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hortmark 1-800-482-4800 in Capac St. Clair County north of you has the high
tunnels(ones designed to be approved by the Equip funding)  You may want to
inquire with them---it may help to reduce the shipping charges.
Tell them your circumstance--they may have some ideas.

> OK. Here I am:  a Native American (Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa
> Indians) limited financial resource (our household AGI is below our
> county's poverty level) beginning (vegetable) farmer who is converting to
> organic. In 2009, using biointesive farming methods and hand tools alone,
> managed to produce little more than $1,000 worth of crops.
>
> I applied for the high tunnel and organic conversion EQUIP funding and
was
> recently approved. However, it was not until AFTER I'd signed the
contract
> that I discovered the Catch 22: I've got to buy the high tunnel (I've
been
> approved for a 30X72 foot unit) and set it up FIRST in order to obtain my
> (so-called) 90% REIMBURSEMENT!!!! (Just how did they expect their limited
> financial resource applicants to fund this thing? If I had the funding or
> the credit in the first place, I wouldn't have needed to apply!)
>
> As if this weren't enough, it turns out that the shipping cost (I live in
> Monroe county just south of Ann Arbor) on the high tunnel alone is equal
> or in excess of my so-called 10% share of $500 (which is all I've been
able
> to scrape together thus far.) And that doesn't even account for the
lumber
> I'd still need to buy for the basebords and ends.
>
> Further, I've also got to come up with 100% of the funds to pay for the
> organic transitioning certification/verification.
>
> Please understand that I was never given any written or verbal
information
> about this being a reimbursement rather than a disbursement until AFTER
I'd