Thanks Al.
Really appreciate your sharing the results and what you have learned.

Firm.

-----Original Message-----
From: Al Puzzuoli [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 4:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Recovering Offline files from Windows 7 CSC?

Just wanted to offer thanks to everyone who helped out with suggestions
on this one, and a special thanks to Mel Micke, who came over here and
joined in the fun of slogging through the troubleshooting process.
The upshot of the matter, as is so often the case, is that in the heat
of battle it's often easy to  get caught up in one aspect of an issue
and overlook a simple solution.
We spent a lot of time trying to figure out why the machine would no
longer join the domain, and eventually gave up on that piece of the
puzzle. I was all ready to  start investigating complicated processes by
which to recover the CSC, and thanks by the way, to everyone who sent
suggestions for accomplishing that.  But then, we decided, "Oh. Hey! Why
not unplug the machine from the network, roll it back to a point at
which it thought it was still on the domain and let the user login?"
That solution worked perfectly. While the machine was offline, the user
was able to login with cached credentials and back up all his documents.
I then dropped a new image onto the machine, one which had no qualms
about being on a domain. And we all lived happily ever after, or
something.

Thanks again to everyone who helped out.

Al Puzzuoli

Michigan State University

Information Technologist
http://www.rcpd.msu.edu <http://www.rcpd.msu.edu/>

Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities

120 Bessey Hall East Lansing, MI  48824-1033

517-884-1915