Quoting "Aldrich, Dak" <[log in to unmask]>:

> Due to an overwhelming number of "accidents" with computers this past
> year, mostly dropped and broken screens, we've made some decisions
> over here regarding how we're handling issuing machines.
>
> I was wondering what kinds of policies everyone else has in regards
> to machines and their care while they're in the hands of faculty /
> staff.  (not just laptops, but that's our primary concern right now.)
>
> What do you hold them responsible for?  Anything outside of warranty
> repairs?  If anyone has a document that they sign upon being issued a
> machine, i'd love to take a look at it, if that would be ok.
>
> in the past 6 months, i've shelled out over $3000 for computer
> repairs that were due to blatant negligence on the part of the
> user.... things like not carrying it in a bag or case, and dropping
> it down stairs.
>
> Thank you for any and all feedback anyone can provide!
>
> -dak

This issue has only come up for me once, in 13 years.  My solution
for laptops is to get the all-encompasing warranty on a thinkpad,
such that no matter what they do, its covered.  Accidental dropping
of the laptop seems a legitimate blameless problem, so thats
covered.

--STeve Andre'
Political Science