Due to an overwhelming number of "accidents" with computers this past year, mostly dropped and broken screens, we've made some decisions over here regarding how we're handling issuing machines.

I was wondering what kinds of policies everyone else has in regards to machines and their care while they're in the hands of faculty / staff.  (not just laptops, but that's our primary concern right now.)

What do you hold them responsible for?  Anything outside of warranty repairs?  If anyone has a document that they sign upon being issued a machine, i'd love to take a look at it, if that would be ok.

in the past 6 months, i've shelled out over $3000 for computer repairs that were due to blatant negligence on the part of the user.... things like not carrying it in a bag or case, and dropping it down stairs.

Thank you for any and all feedback anyone can provide!

-dak

-dak aldrich
-network admin
-college of music, msu