From: Aldrich, Dak [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 1:46 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] ScanFront 220 scanning on NetBios ports?

Ok.  Here’s the situation.

I have a Canon ScanFront 220 network scanner.  Two of the, actually.  Set up the exact same way, with the exception of the static IP that it’s assigned to.

The network information is as follows.

IP:                           35.8.225.30

Subnet:                255.255.255.0

Gateway:            35.8.25.1

DNS:                      35.8.225.70  (Our own DNS, forwards to MSU’s DNS if it can’t resolve)

It does NOT use NetBios unless LDAP is enabled.  Which it is not.

The SMTP info points to our internal mail server ONLY!

I have gotten a report from an individual who states that they are getting a connection request on port 137 at least once in a 24 hour period from the above IP address.  It is apparently scanning several machines, sequentially.

Looking at the log files they have sent me, the connection attempts do not coincide with any use of the network scanner and occur during periods when the scanner is set to be automatically shut down.

I do not maintain any firewall hardware here.  And please remember, I have two of these machines, both configured identialy.

Any help from anyone in narrowing down this problem would be greatly appreciated.  I do not see any physical way that my machine could be connecting to these servers.  The only information in them points back to our local network.

Thanks for any assistance.

-dak

- dak aldrich

- network admin

- college of music, msu

- http://comit.music.msu.edu

- [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]

- 517.432.5045