Gary,
We have several TVs displaying content in the Engineering Building. Each
one has presented different mounting challenges, because of its location
and surroundings. I'm currently mounting two screens in the north
entrance to the EB, and I think this closely matches your situation. If
your hallway has a drop ceiling, it gets pretty easy. We have phys plant
install a data and power outlet just above the drop ceiling where the TV
would be mounted. Then install the wall mount bracket for the TV, and
have a piece of small square steel raceway ran from the drop ceiling to
the top of the wall mount. This is to accommodate the TV power cord and
HDMI cable up into the ceiling. We then use an AOpen mini-itx computer
to drive the TV with powerpoint; and UltraVNC to update the computer.
The AOpen pc is mounted up above the drop ceiling, so no video extending
is necessary. AOpen makes a wall mount bracket for the pc.

AOpen mini-itx computer:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/myaopen/MP45.html

I also take security pretty seriously, so I modify the wall mount
brackets to make it difficult to steal the TV. I weld all the nuts onto
the bolts, so the wall mount bracket cannot be disassembled. I install 2
padlocks to prevent access to bolt heads, so the wall mount bracket
cannot be removed from the wall, and 1 more padlock so the TV cannot be
removed from the wall mount. I'd like to think it would be impossible to
steal the TV without destroying it.

This is the slim tilting wall mount I start with and modify:
http://www.chiefmfg.com/productdetail.aspx?MountID=48

We are mounting two LG 42SL90 TVs. They are thin LED edge-lit 42" LCD
TVs and with the above mount will stick out less then 3 inches off the
wall. They are being installed into a very busy entrance hallway, so
appearance and unobstruction was important.

You're more then welcome to come over and look at the setup.

--
  Steven Foley  <[log in to unmask]>
  Systems Administrator  <[log in to unmask]>