Dear Readers I hope if you are producing more than $1000 per year of produce and have an interest in receiving cost share (from 70-90%) of the cost for a hoop house then you will take advantage of the NRCS program, which has a deadline of March 12. Useful Links to find the nearest Mi Field Office and details on the cost share:

NRCS-Michigan Environmental Quality Incentives Program Web page:

List of NRCS-Michigan Field Offices



Here is a list of FAQ created by Brian Buehler from the Michigan USDA NRCS office. Please read and if this program is for you then sign up with your local USDA Soil Conservation office. Bookmark web site to keep track of any updates on programs like this one.


Frequently Asked Questions about the NRCS Seasonal High Tunnel Pilot Program

NRCS - Michigan

Who is eligible for financial assistance for installing a seasonal high tunnel?

Participants must be engaged in agriculture and have sales of at least $1,000 annually. Financial assistance is not available for home gardeners or subsistence farmers. Applicants must register their farm with USDA and meet USDA Farm Bill eligibility requirements. The applicants must also prove control of the land over the life of the program contract. Additional eligibility information is available from local NRCS field offices.

How much financial assistance can I receive for installing a seasonal high tunnel?


The pilot program will cover up to 75 percent of the estimated cost of constructing a high tunnel of up to 2,178 square feet for a maximum of $4,166. Socially disadvantaged, beginning farmers and historically underserved producers can receive up to 90 percent of the cost for a maximum of $4,944. The program will provide assistance for one high tunnel per producer.


Can I receive financial assistance if I want to install a high tunnel larger than 2,178 square feet?

Yes, financial assistance is based on a rate per square-foot. Program participants can build a larger high tunnel but they only receive financial assistance for up to 2,178 square feet. Participants can also build smaller high tunnels but will not receive the maximum financial assistance.


Do I have to take down my high tunnel at the end of the growing season or remove the cover?

No, participants are not required to remove the plastic cover or take down the high tunnel at the end of the growing season. However, it is the participant’s responsibility to maintain the high tunnel over the life of the EQIP contract.

What kind of structure can I install using the pilot program?

Seasonal high tunnels are intended to be temporary, portable structures to extend the growing season. They must be constructed from pre-manufactured kits with plastic sheeting over the exterior. The tunnels must have a minimum interior height of 6 feet. Heating systems are not allowed for this practice.


Do I have to be an organic producer to participate in the high tunnel pilot program?

No, organic and non-organic producers are eligible to participate. The seasonal high tunnel practice is included in the organic initiative with allocated funding for organic producers and producers transitioning to organic production.

Can I receive financial assistance for installing irrigation equipment inside of the high tunnel?

Participants may be eligible for financial assistance if the land where the high tunnel is located was already irrigated over 2 of the last 5 previous growing seasons.


What other conservation practices associated with high tunnels can I apply for?

Other practices compatible with high tunnel production can include pest management, cover crops, irrigation water management and others. These practices are only available if they are not already being applied on land where the high tunnel will be located. NRCS or conservation district staff can help producers determine what practices are most beneficial.


Useful Links:

NRCS-Michigan Environmental Quality Incentives Program Web page:

List of NRCS-Michigan Field Offices

"The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, or because all or a part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD). To file a complaint of discrimination write to USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer."



Vicki Morrone

303 Natural Resources Bldg

C.S. Mott Group

Dept of CARRS

East Lansing, MI 48824

517-353-3542/517-282-3557 (cell)

[log in to unmask] for information on organic and sustaianable farming and news & events


From: Buehler, Brian - East Lansing, MI [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 3:49 PM
To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; Morrone, Vicki
Subject: NRCS Seasonal High Tunnel FAQ


Attached is a FAQ I put together for the NRCS Seasonal High Tunnel Pilot. If there are additional items you think should be added please let me know.


Brian Buehler

Public Affairs Specialist

USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service

3001 Coolidge Road, Suite 250

East Lansing, MI 48823

Phone (517) 324-5244


If you would like to access a searchable archive of the all the previous Mich-Organic listserv postings copy this URL and paste in your browser address field