This conference if for you if you are thinking that selling fresh food to schools and institutions may be in your future market plan. Note that there are 2 sessions that focus on this in the March 25 at the Growing Our Food System, Nourishing Our People. The event will be held at the Lansing Community College-West Campus and the reg fee is only $5.00. to register go to www.greaterlansingfoodbank.org<http://www.greaterlansingfoodbank.org> or call me and I can help you register on line. Here is the agenda for that day: Hope you can attend.
Growing our Food System: Nourishing Our People
March 25, 2010
Events of the Day

Time                                      Activity
8:00 - 8:30                            Registration

8:30 - 9:15                           Multi-sector conversations - Meet people working in other 'sectors' of the food system.

9:15 - 10:30                        The Mid-Michigan Food System - Mike Hamm C.S. Mott Professor of Sustainable Agriculture
Food Security in the Region - Terry Link, Executive Director of the Greater Lansing Food Bank

10:30 - 10:45                      Break

10:45 - 12:15                      Inspirational Models
*         Food Bank, Soup Kitchen, Garden Partnership -W. DeWayne Wells, Gleaners Community Food Bank President; Patrick Crouch, Capuchin Soup Kitchen's Earthworks Farm Program Manager
*         Educational Farm -Melissa Hornaday, Giving Tree Farm Manager
*         Produce Distribution - Eric Hahn, Founder of Locavore Food Distributors

12:15 - 1:00                        Lunch

1:00 -  2: 30                          Break out sessions
Option #1: Pantry Innovations
v  Likely Topics - models, emerging trends, new ideas and approaches to bring in fresh food/produce
v  Likely Participants - Pantry volunteers and workers

Option #2: Locally Grown Food for Local People
v  Likely Topics - Connecting local farms with local institutions, markets, retailers, etc.
v  Likely Participants - Growers, farmers, distributors, institutional food service managers

Option #3: Food in Community
v  Likely Topics - urban agriculture and community development, farmers markets, grocery store and corner store improvements, community gardens, pocket parks, etc.
v  Likely Participants - urban food activists, neighborhood center staff, neighborhood organizers, market managers, urban gardeners

Option #4: Investment and Policy-making
v  Likely Topics - policy changes, investment opportunities
v  Likely Participants - educators, policymakers, elected officials, health professionals, community development professionals, planners

2:30 - 2:45                           Break

2:45 - 3:30                           Reporting Out from Break Out Sessions

3:30 - 4:00                           Closing Remarks from Terry Link

Vicki Morrone
303 Natural Resources Bldg
C.S. Mott Group
Dept of CARRS
East Lansing, MI 48824
517-353-3542/517-282-3557 (cell)
www.MichiganOrganic.msu.edu for information on organic and sustaianable farming and news & events

If you would like to access previous postings to the Mich-Organic listserv you can copy and paste the following URL into your browser address bar
 http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html