Date:         Mon, 8 Mar 2010 14:53:08 -0500

>“Feeding the People and Maintaining the Planet:

>Meeting the Challenges by 2050.”

>Jason Clay,

>Senior Vice President

>World Wildlife Fund

>Thursday, April 22, 2010

>Reception @ 5:00 pm

>Seminar from 5:30 – 6:45 pm

>147 Communication Arts Building,

>Michigan State University

A note on parking. The parking in the garage just next to Communication Arts bldg is free after 6 pm. There are meters in the garage if you don’t want to risk a ticket.

>RSVP, Jennifer Patterson at

><mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask] by THURSDAY April 15.

>We live on a finite planet. WWF’s Living Planet Index suggests that we

>are currently at 1.3 planets, exceeding the Earth’s carrying capacity.

>By almost any measure, producing food has the largest impact of any

>human activity.

>Most estimates suggest that we will need to produce twice as many

>calories on the same amount of land we use today if we want to maintain

>biodiversity and ecosystem functions.

>We know that what may be sustainable with 6.7 billion people will not

>be sustainable with 9 billion people, and that no single strategy will

>be sufficient to address this issue. WWF is implementing a strategy

>with the 100 global companies that are the most important in changing

>the way we produce 15 key commodities.

>We help companies and producers align incentives throughout supply

>chains to ensure long-term partnerships. WWF has identified 10 “food

>wedges” that will allow us to produce enough food for all and still

>have a living planet.

>These strategies focus on genetics, target crops, better practices,

>rehabilitation of degraded land, technology, property rights, waste and

>post harvest losses, overconsumption, and carbon. These strategies will

>allow us to increase food production while simultaneously reducing its

>footprint.

>In addition to his position as WWF’s Senior Vice President of Market

>Transformation, Dr. Jason Clay manages the WWF Network’s private sector

>advisory board and led the development of WWF’s private sector

>engagement strategy. He is a leader within WWF and the NGO community on

>identifying global trends and issues as well as supply chain

>management. Dr. Clay has co-convened multi-stakeholder roundtables to

>reduce the social and environmental impacts of such products as salmon,

>soy, sugarcane, and cotton, and he helped draft the principles and

>criteria for sustainable palm oil. Dr. Clay has run a family farm,

>taught at Harvard and Yale, worked in the U.S. Department of

>Agriculture, and spent more than twenty-five years working with human

>rights and environmental organizations. He earned a Ph.D. at Cornell

>University in anthropology and international agriculture, and is the

>author of more than 250 articles and 15 books on the topics of

>environment, agriculture, aquaculture, and poverty alleviation.

>This “conversation about our food future” is co-sponsored by

>Sustainable Michigan Endowed Project

>College of Agriculture & Natural Resources Michigan Department of

>Natural Resources and Environment

Vicki Morrone

303 Natural Resources Bldg

C.S. Mott Group

Dept of CARRS

East Lansing, MI 48824

517-353-3542/517-282-3557 (cell)

www.MichiganOrganic.msu.edu for information on organic and sustaianable farming and news & events

If you would like to access a searchable archive of the all the previous Mich-Organic listserv postings copy this URL and paste in your browser address field http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html