I've also noticed issues with Dell Optiplex 760s w/ dual-screen setups.  Namely in our case the display order (which one is "1" and "2") or the settings (clone vs. expand) can be forgotten or switched.  I have never been able to consistently reproduce the issues or find a permanent fix.  I do know that order can vary and is more based on which monitor is on and detected first and not by the numbering on the splitter.

Stephen Bogdanski
Information Technology Center
College of Veterinary Medicine
Michigan State University

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 12:17:38PM -0500, Aldrich, Dak wrote:

> And yet another puzzling problem.
>
> I have several OptiPlex 760's.  One of them I've got to successfully work with two monitors.  I had to install the NVidia drivers directly from them, the ones that Dell had didn't work correctly.
>
> However, I have two other 760's that I'm trying to get working and it's not working.  I've installed the SAME NVidia drivers from them that I used on the previously mentioned machine.
>
> What happens, I can enable dual monitors in mirror mode, however, the second I set it to a primary and secondary, it reverts to mirrored.  I have the same Dell issued video splitter adapter for all 3 machines.
>
> I'm confused.  Anyone have anything that might tell me why this happens and how to fix it?

Not sure if this is directly applicable to the 760's, but on my laptop,
I can sort this out by going into the NVIDIA control panel, under
Display / Set up multiple displays.  I can't always get it right under
the Display control panel itself.

Doug

--

Doug Nelson, Network Architect |  [log in to unmask]
Academic Technology Services |  Ph: (517) 353-2980