Recovery CD for an Aspire 1640 series laptop anyone?

I am trying to help someone who has an Acer Aspire 1640 (Windows XP home edition) and is having trouble detecting  the Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K16RA drive.  Apparently it stopped working after a virus was cleaned off the computer.
Searching on Acer.com and on the internet for drivers are not yielding anything substantive.
If you have a recovery CD that I can grab a copy of, it would be a great help.
Thanks.

Firmin Charlot, ITIL, MCSE, A+, Information Systems Manager
Student Services   162 Student Services Building   East Lansing, MI 48824
[log in to unmask]  (517) 432-7541
Submit technical requests at http://help.ess.msu.edu/