Hi Rob,
I could qualify my comments a bit. Some students in each online class offering end up saying in the course review that they think they would prefer an in-person class (or partly in-person – a hybrid) for some of the things they tried to learn, and that often includes the rocks and maps. But that is a minority of the students. If I were to add video demonstrating how to work with and interpret rocks and maps, that might help some of those students, shrinking to an even smaller minority those who end up thinking in-person would be their preference. We’ll see. Good to hear from you.

--Ralph

From: Rob Thomas [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 12:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: On-line earth science courses: Experiences and research

Ralph,

The rock kits sound like a good idea. Thanks, I'll give that a try.....Rob

Robert C. Thomas, Ph.D.

Department of Environmental Sciences

The University of Montana Western

Dillon, MT 59725

(406) 683-7615

http://www.umwestern.edu/

http://www.umwestern.edu/envirosci/

"I'll know my song well, before I start singin'"...Dylan