Hi Frank,

In the Geology of the Pacific Northwest class I teach online, we haven’t been having the problems you describe. It seems like there may be several keys to this.

One key may be how I respond to the students frequently on all discussions and assignments with in-depth feedback, in which I try to consistently refer to the expected outcomes and standards for each assignment or discussion, and provide encouragement to help the students keep building toward achievement of those standards.

Another key is recognizing and acknowledging the students for who they are and having them share their life experiences. This is done with some of the more interesting guided discussion topics, which bring out their encounters with geology, experiences with earthquakes and volcanoes or floods (or stories of such encounters they heard from relatives or friends), beautiful geological places they have visited, and so on -- life experiences that are meaningful to them and which help them get to know each other.

Another thing we have the students do is a field project much like what Rob Thomas mentions, with their results shared with each other via pictures and summaries of their geologic interpretations of their field sites.

The students in PNW Geology online also work with real rocks and geologic maps from a lab kit they buy. The rocks and maps provide a basis for several intensive, discussion rich exercises, including examples and diagrams modeling what the student will be doing themselves to interpret structures on the geologic map, or the rocks in terms of the rock cycle. They also engage in social learning by discussing their rocks in groups after attempting to identifying the rocks once to see how they did, and then they get to try again. I like it when they start sending pictures of their rocks around and talking (writing) about them on the basis of the pictures, though that does not always happen.

On the whole, the results have been about as good as, or sometimes better than, my in-person PNW Geology class.

--Ralph

Ralph Dawes, Ph.D.
Earth Sciences
Wenatchee Valley College