Frank,

There probably is literature on this topic that would help. However, my anecdotal observations and experiences from my on-line geology course at the University of Montana Western are similar to what you describe. I teach a course targeted at early childhood majors (ironic, given I was awarded the CASE U.S. Professor of the Year for helping to pioneer the use of experiential immersion learning!). My students grapple with many of the problems you have mentioned, and I don't have a lot of insight on how to correct these problems.

The most effective way in which I get them engaged beyond cyberworld, is to have them do a field-based rock project on their own (see reference in red below). In short, they collect one of each rock type and write a report that includes (1) descriptive information (maps, rock description, field photos, etc.), (2) a thorough description of the processes that form each rock (gets them back into their book), and (3) a discussion of how the rock fits into the geologic history of the area they are located (helps them with geologic time and regional geology). I once had a student who was in Chicago, and he did this project using building stones (without the collecting part, of course!), so it can work even outside of Montana.

I hope this helps. All the best......Rob

Thomas, R.C., 2001, Learning geologic time in the field: Journal of Geoscience Education, v. 49, n. 1, p. 18-21.

Robert C. Thomas, Ph.D.
Department of Environmental Sciences
The University of Montana Western
Dillon, MT 59725
(406) 683-7615

"I'll know my song well, before I start singin'"...Dylan